Basketball is my whole life & it is in my blood
- Shiba Maggon
- New Delhi
- Basketball CoachFormer Captain Indian Women Basketball Team
An International referee
FIBA Coach Junior & Youth,
Lead Coordinator NBA (Delhi).
Shiba Maggon is an Indian basketball player who played for the India national team. She was Head Coach Junior Indian team 2016 and currently Coaching Senior Indian women team, as well as an International referee and one of the first women to qualify as a referee. Having come from a sporting family (her father was a cricketer in college), Shiba has been playing basketball since 1989.
Her sister was an international netball player and also attended two Indian basketball camps. Her death in a car accident, inspired Shiba to take up basketball passionately. She is a product of Sports Authority of India (SAI). In 1992, she was selected for the Indian Junior team. Shiba had her initial schooling days in Karnal and later joined SAI at Chandigarh and stayed there till 1996. She later joined Western Railways, Ajmer in 1996 and was with them till 2002. In 2002 Shiba joined MTNL Delhi and played with them till Jan 2011.
Shiba Maggon achievments & awards
Shiba has an impressive list of Basketball achievements leading back to her Junior days.
- Bronze medal in 1991 in Junior National.
- Gold medal youth National 1991
- Gold medal at Junior National 1993.
- Silver medal in 1994 Junior Nationals.
- Six Gold medals at Sr National Championship playing for Indian Railways, Year 1997 to 2002
- One Gold Medal and Eight Silver Medals at Sr National Championship playing for Delhi, Year 2003 to 2011.
- Two Bronze and one Gold medal at All India University Championship
- Six federation cups Three Gold and Three Bronze medals.
- Two Gold Medals and One Bronze Medal at All India University level.
- Shiba was also awarded Best player several times and made Hatric at PNC All India championship to sweep away the Best player Award
- She was a consistent player and a consistent scorer for the past 20 years, scoring an average of 15 points for the last championship.
- She has also played in 3 National games. She won a bronze medal in 1994 National games at Pune and another bronze at 2007 National games in Guwahati.
- Played 4 National Games, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Guwahati (Bronze Medal at Pune and Hyderabad)
International career and achievements
Maggon has played in 5 FIBA Asian Championships for Women and was ranked
in the top 5 for Asian players in 2002. She was also part of Indian Team to
take part at Commonwealth Games at Australia in 2006. She got a scholarship to the
Southwestern Oklahoma State University in 1998. She majored in Physical Education.
Maggon applied for a Diploma Course in Olympism and Humanism with the International
Olympic Academy and successfully finished the Diploma at the historic city,
Athens. Maggon was chosen to represent the whole world and give a vote of thanks speech on behalf of the 98 countries who were taking part in that sessions.
Maggon is credited as being the first Indian woman to be an international FIBA certified referee, along with Maharashtrian Snehal Bendke. She is also an international coach, part-time voice over commentator and has worked in the past with NBA in India.
FIBA ASIA CUP 2017, India Team
Chief guest info global group of colleges sports fest
Chief guest heritage Global school haryana
CHIEF GUEST BILLA BONG HIGH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL NOIDA
Chhattisgarh government honoring her on sports day
News about Shiba Maggon
- Coach Shiba Maggon has another feather in her cap!
- Shiba Maggon - NBA(National Basketball Association), India
- Featured in YOURSTORY
- Featured in Sportskeeda
- A tête-à-tête with Shiba Maggon
- Indian Railways ascertained its dominance in the women's basketball